A. Information Collected
We collect two types of information from visitors to the Sites: (1) Personally Identifiable Information; and (2) Non-Personally Identifiable Information, such as your IP address or cookies.
(1) Personally Identifiable Information
“Personally Identifiable Information” is information that identifies you personally, such as your name, address, telephone number, email address, or company name. Curiosity Project, LLC collects and stores the personally identifiable information that you have provided to us. Here are some examples of the manners in which we may collect your personally identifiable information on the Sites:
- We may collect your email address if you contact us with a question or seek more information about one of the products and services offered on the Sites;
- We may collect your name, email address and billing information if you purchase a membership on the Sites;
- We may collect your name and email address if you enter or otherwise communicate on any social networking platform, chat room, blog or other public area on the Sites;
- We may collect your email address and name if you sign up to receive a newsletter from one of the Sites or if you otherwise request information from the Sites; and
- We may collect your first and last name, date of birth and email address if you choose to participate in a contest or sweepstakes.
The above list provides an example of the personally identifiable information that may be collected on the Sites. We may, at times, collect information in manners that are not described above. If you do not want Curiosity Project LLC to collect your personally identifiable information, please do not provide it to us.
(2) Non-Personally Identifiable Information
“Non-Personally Identifiable Information” can be technical information, such as cookies or your Internet Protocol address, or it can be demographic information, such as your age, gender or interests. Non-personally identifiable information does NOT identify you personally. Here are some examples of the non-personally identifiable information that is collected via the Sites and a description of how this information is used:
- Internet Protocol (IP) address — Your IP address is a number that lets computers attached to the Internet know where to send you data — such as the webpages you view. We use this information to deliver our webpages to you upon request, to tailor our Sites to the interests of our users and to measure traffic within our Sites.
- Cookie — A “cookie” is a small text file that may be used to collect information about your activity on the Sites. You may set most browsers to notify you if you receive a cookie, or you may choose to block cookies with your browser, but if you do, you may not be able to take advantage of the personalized features enjoyed by other users to our Sites.
- Demographic Information — “Demographic Information” may be your gender, age, zip code and interests, which you voluntarily provide to us on the Sites. We use this information to provide you with personalized services and to analyze trends to ensure the information provided by the Sites meets your needs.
- The above list provides an example of the non-personally identifiable information that is collected via the Sites. We may, at times, collect information in manners that are not described above.
B. Use of Information Collected Via the Sites
(1) Personally Identifiable Information. We use your personally identifiable information that is collected on these Sites primarily for the following purposes:
- To deliver products or services you request or purchase;
- To alert you to special offers, updated information and other new products or services from Curiosity Project LLC, or other third parties, or to forward promotional materials;
- To complete a transaction or product or service requested by you;
- To fulfill the terms of a promotion;
- To try to ensure the Sites are relevant to your needs;
- To help us create and publish content most relevant to you
- To allow you access to limited-entry areas of the Sites; and
- To contact you in response to sign up forms or inquiries that you make on the Sites.
(2) Non-Personally Identifiable Information
Non-personally identifiable information is used as described above and in other ways as permitted by applicable laws, including combining non-personally identifiable information with personally identifiable information.
C. Sharing and Disclosure of Information
(1) Personally Identifiable Information
We may share or disclose your personally identifiable information in the following instances:
(ii) To unaffiliated third-party service providers, agents or independent contractors who help us maintain our Sites and provide other administrative services to us (including, but not limited to, credit card processing services, providing customer service, maintaining and analyzing data, sending customer communications on Curiosity Project LLC’s behalf, and entry collection, winner selection and prize fulfillment for contests, sweepstakes and other promotions). We seek to ensure that these unaffiliated third parties will not use the personally identifiable information for any other purpose than to provide the administrative services for which they are responsible. Because such unaffiliated third-party service providers that help us administer our Sites will have access to users’ personally identifiable information, if you do not wish for our unaffiliated third-party service providers to have access to your information, please do not register or submit any personally identifiable information to us.
(iii) To fulfill a request made by you. For example, if you email us a question or otherwise inquire about one of our services, we may use your email address to process your request and respond to your question. Also, if you are entering a sweepstakes or contest, we may use your personally identifiable information in order to fulfill the terms of that promotion. This means that we may share the information for prize fulfillment purposes or mail carriers. We also may share your information with the co-sponsor of that promotion.
(iv) To comply with the law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary in order to conform to the requirements of law or comply with legal process served on us, protect and defend our rights or property, including the rights and property of Curiosity Project LLC and its family of Sites or act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of our end users.
(v) To third parties as part of any corporate reorganization process including, but not limited to, mergers, acquisitions, and sales of all or substantially all of our assets.
(vi) To track and analyze non-identifying and aggregate usage and volume statistical information from our visitors and customers and provide such information to third parties.
(2) Non-Personally Identifiable Information
We use non-personally identifiable information collected on the Sites in the manner disclosed above, in Section A (2). We may share this non-personal information with third parties.
D. Collection and Use of Information from Children Under the Age of 13
The Sites are not intended for use by persons under the age of 13. Curiosity Project LLC will not knowingly collect information from visitors under the age of 13 and, in the event that we learn that a person under the age of 13 has provided Curiosity Project LLC with personally identifiable information, we will delete such personally identifiable information.
E. International Transfer of Information
If you choose to provide us with personally identifiable information, Curiosity Project LLC may transfer that information to its affiliates and subsidiaries or to other third parties, across borders, and from your country or jurisdiction to other countries or jurisdictions around the world. If you are visiting from the European Union or other regions with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, please note that you are transferring your personally identifiable information to the United States which does not have the same data protection laws as the EU and by providing your personally identifiable information you consent to:
the transfer of your personally identifiable information to the United States as indicated above.
We communicate with users who subscribe to our services on a regular basis via email. For example, we may use your email address to send you information about a service requested by you, to confirm a service requested by you, to send you notice of payments, to send you information about changes to our services, and to send notices and other disclosures as required by law. Generally, users cannot opt-out of these communications, but they will be primarily informational in nature rather than promotional.
However, we provide you the opportunity to exercise an opt-out choice if you do not want to receive other types of communication from us, such as emails or updates from us regarding new services and products offered on the Sites or if you do not want us to share your personally identifiable information with third parties. The opt-out choice may be exercised by ticking or un-ticking the appropriate box if such checkbox is available at the points where personally identifiable information is collected or by contacting us. We will process your unsubscribe request as soon as possible, but please be aware that in some circumstances you may receive a few more messages until the unsubscribe request is processed. You also may opt-out of receiving such emails by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link within the text of the email.
G. Forums, Chat Rooms and Other Public Posting Areas
Please note that any information you include in a message you post to any chat room, forum or other public posting area is available to anyone with Internet access. If you don’t want people to know your e-mail address, for example, don’t include it in any message you post publicly. PLEASE BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WHEN DISCLOSING ANY INFORMATION IN CHAT ROOMS, FORUMS AND OTHER PUBLIC POSTING AREAS. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE USE BY OTHERS OF THE INFORMATION THAT YOU DISCLOSE IN CHAT ROOMS, FORUMS AND OTHER PUBLIC POSTING AREAS.
H. Third Party Web Sites
This statement applies solely to information collected on the Sites. The Sites may contain links to other web sites. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of these other web sites.
I. Third Party Advertisers
We may use advertisers, third party ad networks, and other advertising companies, to serve advertisements on the Sites. Please be advised that such advertising companies may gather non-personally identifiable information about your visit to the Sites or other sites (such as through cookies, web beacons and other technologies) to enable such advertising companies to market products or services to you, to monitor which ads have been served to your browser and which webpages you were viewing when such ads were delivered. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS POLICY DOES NOT COVER THE COLLECTION AND USE OF INFORMATION BY SUCH ADVERTISING COMPANIES.
J. Accessing Your Personally Identifiable Information and Privacy Preferences
Please contact Curiosity Project LLC at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about your personally identifiable information or if you would like to otherwise make a change to such information.
In the event that all or part of our assets are sold or acquired by another party, or in the event of a merger, you grant us the right to assign the personally identifiable and non-personally identifiable information collected via the Sites.
No data transmissions over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Consequently, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us and you understand that any information that you transfer to Curiosity Project LLC is done at your own risk.
Once we receive your transmission, we make reasonable efforts to ensure security on our systems. We use firewalls to protect your information from unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. However, please note that this is not a guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed by breach of such firewalls and secure server software.
If we learn of a security systems breach we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. By using these Sites or providing personally identifiable information to us you agree that we can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy and administrative issues relating to your use of these Sites. We may post a notice on our Sites if a security breach occurs. We may also send an email to you at the email address you have provided to us in these circumstances. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing.
N. Contacting Curiosity Project LLC
YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
Beginning on January 1, 2005, California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits our visitors who are California residents to request certain information regarding Curiosity Project LLC’s disclosure of personally identifiable information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please contact us:
Curiosity Project, LLC
8484 Georgia Ave., Suite 700
Silver Spring, MD 20910
Effective Date: January 1, 2012